Monday 7 May 2012

The weight of the world in a ..... dress!?!?!

My first encounter with fibro and the difficulty of wedding planning occurred during my very first fitting for wedding dresses.

In the past, as an amateur actor, I have worn many a huge dress to represent times past and I loved them all. I know that in my younger, more dramatic years, I dreamed of wearing a wedding dress with hoop skirts, crinolines and the like. A dress with glorious meter after meter of luxurious fabric and embellished to the nines with beaded details. In those pre-fibro days, I wouldn't have given a second thought to the weight of the dress. Much like those gypsy brides, the more layers the better.

Fibro puts newfound restrictions on finding "the one" (the guy too, but that's a story for another day). There are many beautiful ball gown wedding dresses out there, but even if they did suit my figure, they don't suit my muscles. I tried an A-line dress that actually had crinolines and under-layers.... I could barely lift it over my head - the dress must have weighed at least 20 pounds! So obviously the simpler the better.

Trains hadn't even entered my head originally. The reality of yards and yards of fabric pulling on my shoulders all through my wedding day was, silly enough, a problem that hadn't even occurred to me. Now granted with my butt, I really didn't want a big bustle on the back of my dress to emphasize that already ample area, but I hadn't thought about the pain logistics of the train.

So with each dress store I entered, my requirements got more specific. No train, no layers, no ball gown.... The dresses I got shown were too basic. Destination gowns with little detail. So hard to find the dress of my dreams. So in the end I guess I compromised ... but that seems to be the lifelong story of one with fibro.

No comments:

Post a Comment