Friday 20 April 2012

Fibro impacts on wedding planning

I guess I was naive to think that my fibro wouldn't really interfere with the planning of my upcoming wedding. I try to live my life without the fibro interfering in major events and life decisions, but as most of you with chronic pain know, it is often beyond our control.  Stress flares up the fibro. The only control we have is over reducing our stress levels.

Last week, I went for my first florist consultation for the wedding. I had prepared by choosing my favourite flowers, researching flowers that would be in season and choosing the colours for the bouquet - all the usual bride stuff. I even chose my favourite type of bouquet - the cascade.

Arriving at the florist I was given a big wake-up call. Not only had I chosen one of the heaviest styles of bouquets but I also chose one of the most awkward to hold. My shoulders are an area of particular weakness. When carrying anything of weight, I need to carry it close to my body or chest to reduce the strain and weight. It it tough to carry grocery bags due to the pull they create throughout the upper body muscles. A cascade bouquet will do pretty much the same thing - the weight is to the front of the bouquet and thus puts more strain on the shoulders and arms.

Additionally, I have grip issues that come along with my FM. Holding newspapers, magazines, bags - basically anything gripped in my hand - can cause issues because my grip will give way without warning and suddenly the object is tumbling to the floor. Not only would that be embarrassing if that were to happen during the wedding, but also potentially quite damaging to the flowers in my bouquet.

I'm still not sure what to do. The florist would arrange the bouquet so that the flowers were not packed in tightly and thus reduce the overall weight. The bridesmaids will be there to grab the bouquet when required but it's hard to predict how my hands and arms will be that day.

Then of course, there is the other fibro issue - multiple sensitivities. In addition to worrying about the look and colour of the flowers, we also have to be concerned with the scents. We needed to choose no or low scent blossoms in order to avoid migraines on the big day.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should do some sort of alternative bouquet.  Not a broach one to be sure, as that would weigh a ton. Hmm.... so many things to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment